Saturday, February 03, 2007

Brrrrrrrrrrrr.....

We're in the midst of a blizzard here right now and it's a doozy. There's blowing snow, white out conditions, roads are closed, accidents at every major intersection, and the temperature is -16F. For those of you in the southern states the average freezer operates at -18F. Yeah, it's cold.

In other news, between yesterday and today I worked 25 hours with one 30 minute break. That's gotta be illegal! Oh well, it made for a nice paycheck at least. Tomorrow is a full day of studying, seeing as how I have had no time this weekend to do anything other than work.

I have decided that my family is the most dominant stressor in my life. Unfortunately I can't just omit them, so I've taken the easy route and now I just avoid them.
My sister and brother in law live in Florida and, if you watch the news, you know that the humid hurricane attractor had a bunch of tornadoes go through the other day. My sister and brother in law live in one of the counties where there were a significant number of tornadoes. Nobody has heard anything from them even though we've all called multiple times. I'm a little worried, but I'm trying to not get too worked up because they typically check their answering machine once a month.

My grandmother-(the one I wrote about in the previous post)-overdosed on narcotics early this morning. It wasn't an accidental overdose either. She has a history of abusing prescription medication and alcohol. So now my mother is handling the situation because she is the main caregiver for my grandmother. The upside to this is that my mother was a phenomenal nurse back in the day and is very effective with stubborn elderly people. The downside is that my mother has a history of abusing over the counter medications and has taken my prescription painkillers in the past. So my grandmother was in the hospital early this morning, I am assuming that she had her stomach pumped, though my mother wasn't able to give me a lot of information when I talked to her because my grandmother was in the room. The plan of action now is that my mother is going to keep all medications under lock and key and dispense the medication to my grandmother. Again, it's a double edged sword--my grandmother will not be able to overdose again but my mother now has complete possession and control over some very powerful prescription pain killers.

So that's the news from the blizzard stricken North. I just have one favor from all you southerners----Remind me what the sun looks like! :)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Sometimes, the best thing you can do is to remove yourself from a situation. Take care of yourself first and then work on taking care of your family.

I hope your mom finds the strength to work with your grandmother and her meds.

(((HUGS))) to you!

5:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home