Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Carseat Problem

Here's the stock:

2 carseats

1 is a toddler/booster seat-(can put in the straps for a 5 point harness or take it out so it's a booster seat used with the seat belt)

1 is an infant/toddler seat. Put it in facing backwards and it's an infant seat, put it in forwards and it's a toddler seat.

My car, 2 shoulder belts in the back seat with a belt strap in the middle seat.

Now for the problem:

The infant/toddler seat-(currently being used as an infant seat) will only fit in the middle seat in the back. The shoulder belts don't reach the buckle on the other side so the middle seat is the only option.

The toddler/booster seat-(currently being used as a booster seat) has to go on one of the 2 sides because you have to use the shoulder belt with a booster seat.

However, it's really a pain in the ass to have to dig around in the 1 inch space left between the 2 carseats to find the buckle every time I go somewhere and have to use the booster seat. I have the option of putting the 5 point harness back in the booster seat, which would mean that I could buckle the seat in and just leave it there. Technically, C meets the height and weight requirements for the booster seat, and she really likes using the shoulder belt like a "big girl."

So what do I do? Do I just suck it up and keep getting my hand stuck everytime I have to go somewhere with her? Or do I put the 5 pt. harness back in and just deal with an upset 5 yr. old because it'll be easier with me? I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I just don't know what to do. On one hand, I would feel safer with C in a 5 pt. harness because it's winter, there's a lot of accidents around here, and she always loosens the shoulder strap after I tighten it up--which makes me nervous. So, what would you do?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...I'm the carseat nazi and you have to use the booster seat. When they reach the weight limit, the 5 point harness ceases to work. It can snap on impact. Remember the weight is what hits the 5 points...so in all reality, the booster seat (IF CHILD IS RIGHT HEIGHT AND WEIGHT) is safer. Sorry...hate to break it to your hand...I have an idea, get a glove that you can keep in the backseat to put on when buckling said child into the booster? XOXOX Tam

9:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me add...she has to STOP loosening the shoulder strap...is there a method of reward that works for her? UGH! That one woul stress me out too!!!

9:25 PM

 
Blogger Judy said...

There is an overlap on 5 pt harness seats and boosters - see where she rates on the 5 pt before you give up on it. And, if she cries, oh well. Safety is more important.

If she doesn't fall within the weight range for the 5 pt, you're just going to have to deal with the booster. A total pain, belive me, I know. When we would ride in my mom's Prius with the two seats, you can't even imagine the hassle I went through!

11:05 PM

 
Blogger Judy said...

She is loosening the shoulder strap? Okay, can you pull the strap all the way out? Buckle her in, then pull the belt all the way out and release. If you hear a clicking, that means it is locking in place. Unless your car is 20 years old, it should do this, I think. Check.

11:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home