Monday, August 18, 2008

Stupid Bank

Actually it's probably not the bank, or the people who work there. But still, it's irritating. Here's the dilemma:

I'm moving to Georgia SOON

The bank that I currently have my checking & savings accounts at doesn't have any branches anywhere close to where I'll be living

I need to open a new account at a new bank

I know what bank I will use-(it's 2 blocks from the house.)

I can't open the account until I am there, because I have to be there in person to open the account

I can't do a wire transfer to the account in Georgia until it is opened-(when I move there)

I have to be at the bank here in Michigan, IN PERSON, to authorize a wire transfer. Can't sign a form to have it done, can't authorize it over the phone, nope..have to be there in the flesh to do it.

Can't close the account here over the phone. Need to close it in person.

So, basically 30 minutes of standing around the bank to find out that I can't transfer the money to my new account because the account in Georgia isn't open yet, and I have to be in Michigan at the bank here to authorize the transfer. Soooooooooo....I found out that I have to carry a check with me from Michigan to Georgia. This wouldn't be a problem, but it's way more than I'm comfortable carrying with me. AND, I have to carry it with me for 10 days.....which means I have to keep very good track of it between packing, driving, flying, unpacking, and opening the new account in Georgia.

Seriously, is there not an easier way?????? According to the bank, there isn't.

Tomorrow's fun includes calling the utility/cable companies to turn off/switch over the utilities.

3 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Moving and issues like these are always a huge hassle, that's for sure.

Is it a bank or a credit union? Sometimes, if it is a credit union, they are in partnership and there could be one closer to you there that you could use as your "current" bank to move the funds.

Can you mail the check somewhere, like to your future address? Or, that might be totally not a great idea...I guess it all depends on where you're sending it.

10:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not just close the bank account in Michigan and use the cash to open a new account when you move? Or if you don't want to get that much cash, get a cashiers check payable to yourself and deposit that. In other words, close the account before you move

10:27 AM

 
Blogger ~ Lindy ~ said...

Traveler's Checks....that's what I've done in a situation like this. They are SECURE and no problem! Best to you....can't wait to hear how the new job goes! and....you MIGHT want to keep the account open where you currently are...assuming you might return there occasionally if there is family, etc. i LIKE having 3 bank accounts....gives me added security if there is a screw up along the way. (just an idea to consider)

6:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home