Thursday, July 09, 2009

It's Unfair & I'm Complaining

For some reason my classroom seems to be the one that the directors are worried about. They are constantly in there, yelling at me & the other teachers, nit picking about every little thing, and just basically being in our faces and annoying. That's not what I'm complaining about though--nope, though it's high on my list of stressors, it's not what this post is about. This post is about injuries.

We have accident reports that we have to fill out whenever a child gets hurt. Whether it be they tripped over a chair and did a header into a shelf, or they threw themselves on the ground during a tantrum and face planted into the floor, or they were pushed by a friend--if a child is hurt in any way, we have to write an accident report.

The accident reports are kept in the office. The bosses don't like it when we have to fill them out. I honestly dread going into the office to get an accident report because I know I'm going to deal with 2 things while I'm in there. 1) I have to explain to the boss what happened. 2) I'm going to get yelled at for not stopping it from happening. It doesn't matter what it was, how it happened, if it was self inflicted or not.....we get yelled at.

Kid threw himself on the floor and smacked his forehead. Well we should've prevented him from throwing himself on the floor.

Kid tripped over her OWN CHAIR as she was walking around it and did a header into the shelf. Well, we should've made sure all of the chairs were pushed in, regardless of whose chair it was.

Kid picked a scab and it's bleeding. Well we should've taught the kids not to pick at scabs.

You get the point I assume. We're always in the wrong. So I've always thought-(at least since I've worked there)-that ALL staff who go get accident reports get this treatment. Oh no, I was wrong. Today I saw one of the staff in another room take her kids outside to the playground. There's 3 steps and a ramp to get down to the playground from the door. While not paying attention to 1 of her 3 students, her youngest one-(15 months)-toddled over to the stairs at the top, fell down all 3 stairs, and face planted into the ramp. The boss was standing at the other end of the ramp. Went and scooped the kid up, coddled him for awhile, then told the teacher who was responsible for this kid "Oh he's fine, don't worry about an accident report, I'll just let his mom know he fell when she picks him up."

So yeah, it's unfair and I'm complaining.

This teacher has 4 kids MAX ages 12-18 months. I have 10 kids ages 2.5-4. Who do you think is going to have more accident reports???? But yet every time I go get one-(anywhere from 2-5 a day)-I get the what for about how i should've been more on top of things. Seriously. This sucks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

You do realize, you are speaking as one who will be running her own childcare facility in the near future...I can hear it in your blogging...

12:17 PM

 
Blogger Bone said...

Wow. That does suck. I'm not sure what to say.

2:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home