Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On the Hunt

It's been tradition in my family that I make Thanksgiving dinner. Since I will be home for Thanksgiving this year, I'm cooking up a feast. There's a slight hitch in this plan though....this year, my Thanksgiving meal needs to be diabetic friendly. I didn't realize how hard this would be until I started searching for recipes.

Sure there's plenty of recipes out there for a diabetic Thanksgiving.......but I'm not sure I can make them--or how they would turn out if I did attempt to make them. Year after year, I make the same thing. Some people may call it boring, but when I'm cooking for a bunch of people, I want to know that I CAN make the meal well.

So, if anybody out there knows of any diabetic Thanksgiving recipes that are easy to make...please clue me in. For the past 10 years this has been my Thanksgiving menu:

Roasted Turkey

Stove Top stuffing

Green Bean Casserole-(the campbell's recipe)

Yams

Mashed potatoes-(with butter and milk)

Pumpkin Pie from scratch

Buttermilk Biscuits

Jellied Cranberry

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

My FIL is diabetic - I don't think we fix anything special for him, but we do have some other things as well...green salad with grilled meat of some sort on it, steamed veggies, a sugar free apple pie that is actually quite tasty (store bought, though - can't help you there).

You might have to rethink the menu is all. Being diabetic doesn't mean you can't have Thanksgiving dinner. You just have to rethink what your idea of Thanksgiving dinner is.

10:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://diabeticgourmet.com/Food_and_Dining/Holidays/Thanksgiving/

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/diabetic-recipes.html

http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/menus/nov99_5.htm

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/225532.aspx

3:27 PM

 
Blogger Abby said...

Well, my dad is diabetic. He usually just eats stuff other than what others are eating if it's on the "bad" list. My mom usually makes extra veggie dishes for him, and he can eat the turkey.

3:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did your dinner turn out? Hope it was a good time for everyone!

11:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Trummy ok?!?!

10:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home