Saturday, April 28, 2007

Social Loafing

My freshman year of college I ran into a social loafing problem with my group mates in my education class. Though it frustrated me, I delt with it because it was the only thing to do. By the end of my sophmore year I had had enough with social loafing. I was content to do projects on my own and despised professors who were all about the "group work" scene. I was looking forward to my junior and senior years because I figured that classmates who made it 3-4 years in college weren't social loafers. Junior year I was overjoyed because I didn't have a single group project, it was wonderful--unfortunately, it made me think that there wouldn't be any social loafing by my group mates during senior year. I learned something today, and here it is:

Social loafers never change. They perfect the art of social loafing during their first 3 years of college so that by senior year they are pro's at it.

Hence was the problem today. We are currently working on an informational report for our business class. We decided to meet at noon on campus and work on this report. We got there, settled in, and got to work. 2 hrs later we had 3 pages and Heather, one of our group mates, "had to leave due to prior plans."-read: she wanted to go socialize. So there Naomi and I were, until 5:30pm, working on this report. We pounded out 12 pages and then called it quits because we were both tired, hungry, and quite frankly...ticked off with Heather.

Anyways, there's my rant about social loafing. I am soooooo looking forward to next year when I get to do my senior project in which I am the only person that I have to work with.

So, what's your social loafing story?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Well, college for me was so long ago that I don't think my memory goes back that far! HAHA Actually, my college is really small (around 1000 students TOTAL) and we're all big nerds...think poster children for nerd-dom, seriously. I think the only time I ever felt let down while working in a group was when I was teamed up with a couple of guys in one of my education classes (another girl and the two guys) and we (the girls) pretty much carried the guys. But, that was an intro class, and really, we all did work, but the female side of the team just did MORE.

Graduate school was SO MUCH BETTER. So much - really. Almost cut throat on who could do the most on a project!

9:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home