Saturday, March 24, 2007

Potential

I have been told by many people that I have "A lot of potential." Now, even though I take it as a compliment, it got me thinking. As I said, I have been told over and over that I have a lot of potential, but never that I have reached my potential. So, here's my question: Is it possible to reach your potential, or is the phrase just something people say?

Though the phrase is generally a compliment, it can be processed as either a positive or a negative statement. In the positive way, one can see this statement as meaning that people believe in you and are encouraging you to keep going when life gets you down. In the negative way, one can see this statement as meaning that you are not living up to your potential and need to do better. Why am I writing this post? Because every time I am told that I have a lot of potential, I wonder what the true meaning behind the statement is.

I tend to follow the negative way of thinking. Whenever I have been told this, it is generally because I did not do as well on a test, paper, or didn't study as much as I should've. Granted, I know that I have placed a lot on my plate and I am only human so I have bad days once and awhile. But that still leaves the question, what does "You have a lot of potential" mean? Can a person really reach their potential, or is it just an unachievable dream? What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I think it is rare that a person fully reaches their potential. I see my son at 7 playing baseball and realize he is full of potentially being a star player, but he's no where near there. Then there's my 5 year old nephew who has Down Syndrome. He has LOADS of potential. Will he ever reach it? Probably not. But, unless my son really applies himself, he probably won't either.

don't look at it as a negative outlook, it is a REALISTIC outlook.

12:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home