Wednesday, July 18, 2007

New Goal

First a recap:

The summer reading program at the local library is 7 weeks long. I enrolled my charge-(with her mothers permission)-in the program because:

A) We needed something to do.

B) Towards the end of the school year she declared that she hated reading because she was forced to do it at school.

So during the first week she set her own goal of 10 books by the end of the program. I cringed a little on the inside but ran with it anyways and we made a sign that said "10 Books by July 29th!" and proudly displayed it on the fridge with her favorite magnets.

Fast forward 5 weeks. She greatly surpassed her goal of 10 books and, as of today, has read 89 books. We went to the library today, at her request, because she wanted to read some 'new' books. On our way out, she told me she had a new goal. I asked her what it was, and she told me it was a surprise. So we went home, she grabbed her crayons and some paper, and then went into her tent that we have set up in the playroom. An hour later-(yes, I got an hour break today!)-she comes out with her new 'goal sign.' Imagine my delight when I read this:

109 Books by July 29th!

I am thrilled! I have successfully created a book worm and I couldn't be happier :) Of course, I couldn't let the learning end there. So we did some math and figured out, together, that her new goal is 99 books more than her old goal AND that she has 20 more books to read until she reaches her goal. She got really into the whole math thing so we took it a step further and figured out that she needs to read 2 books a day to reach her goal.

I LOVE summer reading programs! Kudos to all you children's librarians out there, you do great work!

3 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I wholeheartedly agree! Library programs are the BEST! Otherwise, I'd just be a nagging mommy, trying to get the boy to read a bit this summer!

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Tamara said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! How cool...I am open to any tricks you have...I have a 2nd grader (starting into 3rd this week) and she reads on a 6th grade reading level...but doesn't love it...HELP! :)

4:10 PM

 
Blogger Bone said...

Aww, how cute! And good for you. I miss libraries. The Hardy Boys, those were my favorite :)

11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home