Monday, December 18, 2006

Birthday Blues...

I'm a little down this evening. Tomorrow is my birthday and everybody who was going to come see me-(mom, dad, friends, etc.)-has cancelled. I didn't think I'd be this down about it but alas, my emotions have gotten the best of me again. I'm remembering why I used to be so bitter about Christmas-because everybody would forget about my birthday, or be too busy to pick up and phone and call, or even send me a card. I cannot tell you how many times growing up we would get Christmas cards from friends and family with a little "P.S. Happy Birthday Jenny" squished in the corner under all of the Merry Christmas and Happy New Year wishes. I rarely ever had a birthday party--all of my friends were already away on vacation by the time my birthday rolled around. Instead, my birthday bash was lumped together with Christmas dinner. My family would shove a lone candle in the pumpkin pie and sing. Nobody would get me a birthday present, they would just tell me to pick one of the Christmas presents under the tree that was for me and open it on my birthday.

I know it sounds petty, and it is. I just kind of wanted someone close to me to put a little effort into my birthday. A simple birthday card would be nice. A birthday gift wrapped in birthday paper, a phone call, something!

So now you all know I'm a scrooge. Bah-humbug!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I am a mother of 4 children in Tennessee...I will be praying for you and your birthday tomorrow...I know it is frustrating to be lonely...but know this: down south in Tennessee...a child wrangler in her own right will be thinking of you on your birthday!
Love in Christ,
Tamara (mom to T-7, P-5, twins 2)

11:30 PM

 
Blogger Idaho Dad said...

Happy Birthday!!

It must be frustrating to have a birthday the week before Christmas.

If I were you, I'd just up and change my birthday to June 18th. Send out notices to friends and family saying that you will no longer be celebrating your birthday in December.

If they don't like it, tough. It's your life. Do what you want!

12:08 AM

 
Blogger Judy said...

Hey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEN!!!! It is a GREAT day, no matter who is or isn't around to share it. My birthday is just the other side of Christmas, so I totally know what you mean about the whole "gloss over" effect...last year, my BIL and SIL told me at EASTER that they just remembered I had a birthday over FOUR MONTHS prior!

But, it is what you make it. Have a great day, do something nice for yourself, and know that I'm here in Texas wishing you a good one!

6:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you had a fabulous birthday! You have been in my thoughts! Thank you for your prayers...we are officially all well :) Exciting! Got to take them all to Target today...only my favorite store in the world, ha! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Love,
Tamara & Crew

1:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home