Saturday, December 23, 2006

Do Teacher's Get Breaks?

I'm just curious what all you teacher's out there think. It seems to me like every decent break I get I have a million teacher things to do. Thanksgiving break is anything but because college professors seem to think that they have to give massive amounts of homework/papers/research/etc. to their students so I have spent the majority of my last 4 Thanksgiving's typing, reading, or running statistics on various research projects. But what about Christmas break? There is no homework because, well, the semester is over with. So you'd think we'd be able to relax right? Well not for me. This Christmas break I will be putting together file folder games and creating thematic units. Now for those of you who have put together a thematic unit, you know how much work it is. A thematic unit can easily take 2 weeks or more to put together. So I'm aiming to get 2 of them done in a 3 week period, call me crazy...but I think it can be done. Add to that a surgery and crazy work schedule and well, there goes my break. So for those teacher's out there, do you ever get a break? Or is it just that we do teacher stuff without the kids?

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Well...it has been a while since I have full-time taught, but I will say that with each year that passed, I did manage to find ways to cut my prep time and give me a break. Those first two or three years, though, were brutal. After about the third year, though, I started to relax a bit, draw on past experiences and stuff, add or change existing things to better fit the current class or meet the curriculum needs for that year, but learned that you don't have to completely re-invent the wheel. Yes, it is tough in the beginning, but you do see a light - eventually.

11:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home