Sunday, July 29, 2007

Book Reviews

Yes I'll admit it, I'm a total book worm. Though my job leaves little time for me to read books above a 1st grade level, I did manage to polish off 3 books this month. Read on for my reviews:

Book # 1:

Ah yes, good ole' Darwin Awards. Nice short stories in here about idiots who either successfully removed themselves from the gene pool or came damn close to it. My personal favorite is the guy who shot a bullet with a pellet gun. If you wanna know what happened, you'll have to read the book. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a good laugh or anyone short on time. The stories are between 1-5 pages long so it's easy to just read a little bit and then put it down if you have kids, animals, or spouses to take care of.

Book # 2:

First off, this book is not as gruesome as you may think. It goes through all the cool and interesting things that human cadavers are used for when they are donated to science. It also walks the reader through the process of embalming, cremation, and a really cool new gadget at a University in the states where they basically vaporize you. Definately don't read this book if you have your heart set on donating your body to science...unless you REALLY wanna know what happens to those bodies.

Book # 3:

Unforunately, this book is older and I can't find an image for it. The book is called "This Will Drive You Sane" by Bill L. Little. It was one of my dad's college textbooks. If you can take a constantly satirical attitude curtosy of the author, then you can handle this book. Basically it walks to reader through the many different ways in which you can ruin your life and never be responsible for any of it. The idea is to point out all of this stuff in order to get the reader to THINK about how they create their own problems in life. A little bit of reverse psychology, if you will. Anywho, a good book for those trying to get a deeper understanding of themselves..though I don't know if you'll be able to find it. Another book by Bill L. Little, that probably has a lot of the same stuff in it is: "Self Destruction Made Easy." It was printed in 2006 and is available through barnes & noble.com

And that is the end of 1 month. 3 books isn't horrible for me, though I wish I could've read more. Currently I am deciding what to read next month. I have a bunch of books on my shelves that I have never read. If the book doesn't grab me within the first 3 chapters, back onto the shelf it goes. I know I know, not the best way to go about reading--but I've read too many books where I get to the end and feel really let down. Kind of like watching a really bad movie just to have the ending suck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I had no idea there was a "Darwin Awards" book! I will definitely have to check into that one- I am a sucker for all those wild stories!

2:53 PM

 
Blogger k8 said...

i want to read the dead people one. i dig stuff like that!

12:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home